How Much Do You Know About Fall Hazards?
There’s nothing like the cool, crisp air and changing leaves to get us excited for fall. Our furry friends are also probably welcoming the break from the hot and humid weather.
While admiring the colourful foliage and preparing for cooler weather, we have to be cautious of fall hazards such as mushrooms, fall plants, antifreeze and pest control chemicals.
Mushrooms – Although the majority of mushrooms are non-toxic, ingestion of mushrooms may result in severe side effects such as vomiting, diarrhea, tremors, seizures, and long-term liver or renal damage.
Fall Plants – The chrysanthemum is the traditional garden flower to brighten up fall landscapes. Ingestion of the chrysanthemum flower, stem, or leaf can result in toxic side effects such as vomiting, diarrhea, hypersalivation, lack of coordination and dermatitis.
Ethylene Glycol – To protect and maintain your vehicle, many people choose fall as the time to replace antifreeze, engine coolants & hydraulic brake fluids. If these fluids drip or spill on the ground, cats and dogs may consume them as they have a sweet taste. Spills should be cleaned up immediately to avoid vomiting, diarrhea, ataxia, seizures or comas in pets.
Rodenticides – During fall’s cooler temperatures, rodents search for indoor shelter from the bitter cold. Rodenticides (poisons which kill mice, rats, snakes and other creatures) may protect your home infestations, but can also cause lethargy, decreased appetite, bloody or black bowel movements in pets.
If you suspect your dog or cat ingested any of these toxic items, please contact us at 905-855-2100. We are open 24 hours, 7 days a week.
Written by Christina, CCR
- Combat the Winter Blues with Environmental Enrichment! - November 29, 2017
- Winter Care Tips for You and Your Pooch - November 29, 2017
- Christmas Safety Tips for Your Feline Friend - November 29, 2017
- Remembrance Day – Remembering Gander, A True Dog Hero - November 1, 2017
- Protecting Our Pets From Wildlife - November 1, 2017
- November is ‘Adopt a Senior Pet’ Month - November 1, 2017
- A Pet Owner’s Guide to Dog and Cat Dental Health - October 31, 2017
- Happy Howl-o-ween! - October 13, 2017
- How Much Do You Know About Fall Hazards? - October 13, 2017
- Do I Still Need to Worry About Ticks With Fall Here? - October 13, 2017