What can I do at home to help?
- Start your pet on a weight loss program if they are overweight (to minimize the weight the joints must carry).
- Provide well-padded bedding in a warm, dry place.
- Provide non-skid flooring.
- Ensure proper grooming of their nails and feet.
- Elevate food and water bowls to a comfortable height for your pet (especially for large dogs).
- For dogs, regular (daily) leash walks with moderate levels of exercise will help maintain flexibility and help to reduce the pain of arthritis. After 6-8 years of age, it is best to avoid running or chasing with tight turns, as this stresses the joints.