Watch Out for These Top 10 Household Toxins for Dogs and Cats!
It’s Pet Poison Prevention Week from March 19-25, which means it’s the right time to remind ourselves of the pet poisons easily accessible in our homes!
Dogs and cats love to get into everything – especially things that aren’t so good for them. That’s why it’s important for pet parents to know which substances are truly toxic to our pets.
If you think your pet may have ingested any of these toxins, it’s critical to call your emergency veterinarian hospital immediately (our 24/7 emergency number is 905-855-2100). The vet clinic will give you instructions to bring your pet in for emergency care. Please always bring the item that you think your pet got into when you come in.
Top 10 Household Dog Poisons
Top 10 Household Cat Poisons
You should also check out our blog listing the top foods NEVER to give your pet (for example, watch out for the ingredient Xylitol found in some peanut butters, some baked goods, chewing gum, etc.).
You’ll notice a lot of those pet poisons are medications – you should never give your pet medication meant for humans! There are a lot of medications we can take that our pets can’t. Always make sure you clear any medication with your veterinarian before giving it to your dog or cat.
If your pet has eaten something that you’re not sure about, visit the Pet Poison Helpline to see a full list of pet toxins and how serious they are. Or, call your vet and ask!
Has your dog or cat ingested a pet toxin? Call us right now at 905-855-2100. If you have any questions about pet toxins or keeping your pets safe, don’t hesitate to ask us!
Is your cat anxious and stressed about vet visits? Get our free tip sheet for transporting your nervous cat to the vet!
Get Your Paws on Our Previous Posts:
- Before and After: Why Does Pet Dental Cleaning Matter?
- Top 3 Benefits of Spaying or Neutering Your Pet
- New Video! Your Introduction to Clarkson Village Animal Hospital
- Is Your Dog Stressed Out? [Video] - July 21, 2017
- Top 10 Tips for Travelling Long Distances in the Car with Your Dog - June 27, 2017
- Celebrate Clarkson Village Animal Hospital’s 30th Anniversary! - June 7, 2017
- Prevention Is The Best Medicine: Make “Cat Soup” for Healthy Cats! - May 24, 2017
- Pet Hospital Tails: 15lb Dog Survives Coyote Attack in the GTA – The Full Story! (Warning: Graphic Photos) - April 25, 2017
- Pet Teeth vs Human Teeth – Can You Spot Dental Disease? - April 11, 2017
- Get a 10% Discount on Parasite Prevention Medication! - March 31, 2017
- Watch Out for These Top 10 Household Toxins for Dogs and Cats! - March 19, 2017
- Important Tips to Protect Your Family and Pets from Coyotes - March 1, 2017
- Pet Hospital Tails: 15lb Dog Survives Coyote Attack in the GTA (Featured on CityNews with Dr. Mudrick) - February 28, 2017