Warning: Common Household Foods You Should NEVER Give to Your Pets
Admit it, you spoil your furry friend from time to time (or maybe more often than that!). We all do it – it’s so hard to resist their adorable faces peering up at us, asking for just a little bite.
Usually, giving your pet a treat (yes, even a people-food treat) every now and then is okay as long as your dog or cat isn’t becoming overweight. However, if your pet does indulge in some table food, you need to know which foods are toxic to pets. Even the most well-intentioned pet parent can make a mistake if they aren’t informed about which foods can be poisonous and/or choking hazards to dogs and cats!
Here are some of the top foods NEVER to feed your pet:
- Grapes or raisins
- Garlic, Chinese chive, or anything from the Allium vegetable family
- Onions (from the Allium family but they deserve their own line here!)
- Macadamia nuts
- Xylitol (found in chewing gum, many sugar-free baked goods, and some peanut butters)
- Bones of any type
- Raw fish and bones
- Peaches with the pit or any stone fruit
- Moldy cheese or nuts
- Yeast dough
- Prescription and non-prescription drugs and medications
If you think your pet may have ingested something potentially toxic to them, call your emergency veterinary clinic (our 24/7 emergency number is 905-855-2100) right away.
Pet Poison Helpline has a list of toxins that you can check out if you’re not sure whether something might be poisonous to your pet or not. You can also ask your vet!
If you want some healthy treats you can feed your pets, check out our blog from Cook for Your Pets day, which has great recipes that will have your dogs wagging their tails and cats purring with joy!
Help get your cat in the carrier and to the vet without anxiety. Get our free tip sheet on stress-free cat travel.
Get Your Paws on Our Previous Posts:
- What Should I Do If I Think My Pet Needs Emergency Care?
- Help Your Pets Beat the Heat with These 7 Tips
- What Is Osteoarthritis and How Can I Help My Elderly Pet?
- Is Your Dog Stressed Out? [Video] - July 21, 2017
- Top 10 Tips for Travelling Long Distances in the Car with Your Dog - June 27, 2017
- Celebrate Clarkson Village Animal Hospital’s 30th Anniversary! - June 7, 2017
- Prevention Is The Best Medicine: Make “Cat Soup” for Healthy Cats! - May 24, 2017
- Pet Hospital Tails: 15lb Dog Survives Coyote Attack in the GTA – The Full Story! (Warning: Graphic Photos) - April 25, 2017
- Pet Teeth vs Human Teeth – Can You Spot Dental Disease? - April 11, 2017
- Get a 10% Discount on Parasite Prevention Medication! - March 31, 2017
- Watch Out for These Top 10 Household Toxins for Dogs and Cats! - March 19, 2017
- Important Tips to Protect Your Family and Pets from Coyotes - March 1, 2017
- Pet Hospital Tails: 15lb Dog Survives Coyote Attack in the GTA (Featured on CityNews with Dr. Mudrick) - February 28, 2017