Take Caution – Dog Flu Outbreak in the US
Ontario dog owners should be aware of a spreading dog flu outbreak in the United States.
Currently, the outbreak is at its worst in Chicago. We recommend avoiding taking your dog on any trips to Chicago or the surrounding areas in the near future.
This flu is a new strain of “H3N2”, a canine respiratory virus. The incubation period is 2 to 4 days. Although this virus is not usually life-threatening, it can lead to potentially deadly complications such as pneumonia. It can also infect other pets, such as cats, in some cases. At this time, no vaccination is available, but diagnostic tests will soon be ready.
Here are the symptoms of the canine flu to be on the lookout for:
- Runny nose
- Nasal discharge (especially thick yellow-green mucus)
- Rapid breathing
- Difficulty breathing
- Appetite loss
As of now, no instances of dog flu have been reported in Ontario. We are monitoring this situation carefully and are always cautious with any dog who comes to us with respiratory symptoms.
Stay tuned to our blog for any further updates on the dog flu spread.
>> Clarkson Village Animal Hospital stays up-to-date on everything to do with pet health, from the latest news to new medical advances in the veterinary community. Book an appointment with us.
Get Your Paws on Our Previous Posts:
- Pet Hospital Tails: Vomiting 10 Month Old Puppy
- What We Can Learn from Avril Lavigne’s Fight with Lyme Disease
- How to Care for Your Aging Dog – 7 Health Considerations
- Did You Know Your Pets Are Actually Making You Healthier? - September 7, 2017
- Is Your Dog Stressed Out? [Video] - July 21, 2017
- Top 10 Tips for Travelling Long Distances in the Car with Your Dog - June 27, 2017
- Celebrate Clarkson Village Animal Hospital’s 30th Anniversary! - June 7, 2017
- Prevention Is The Best Medicine: Make “Cat Soup” for Healthy Cats! - May 24, 2017
- Pet Hospital Tails: 15lb Dog Survives Coyote Attack in the GTA – The Full Story! (Warning: Graphic Photos) - April 25, 2017
- Pet Teeth vs Human Teeth – Can You Spot Dental Disease? - April 11, 2017
- Get a 10% Discount on Parasite Prevention Medication! - March 31, 2017
- Watch Out for These Top 10 Household Toxins for Dogs and Cats! - March 19, 2017
- Important Tips to Protect Your Family and Pets from Coyotes - March 1, 2017