Please – Watch Out for These Autumn Toxins for Dogs and Cats!
The Pet Poison Helpline, a 24-hour poison control service that also provides valuable resources to pet owners about pet toxins, has come out with a Fall Newsletter detailing the toxins to watch out for this season.
The best thing to do is to keep your cat or dog from ingesting these poisonous substances – but if they do, make sure you call us as soon as possible (remember, we’re always open with a vet on-site for emergencies)!
Here is a quick list of the things to watch out for this autumn:
- Table food – especially fat and bones
- Mouse and rat poisons (and don’t let your pet eat dead mice who may be poisoned!)
- Compost bins with molding/decaying food
- Certain types of mushrooms – and without knowing how to distinguish mushrooms, try to stay away from any mushrooms growing outside
- Car antifreeze – a single teaspoon can be fatal to a cat
We encourage you to keep your beloved furry family members away from anything that you even suspect might be a toxin – better safe than sorry!
Get Your Paws on Our Previous Posts:
- How to Protect Your Dog from Lyme Disease
- Emergency/After Hours Services
- Prevention – The Best Medicine – Cat Soup
- Celebrate Clarkson Village Animal Hospital’s 30th Anniversary! - June 7, 2017
- Prevention Is The Best Medicine: Make “Cat Soup” for Healthy Cats! - May 24, 2017
- Pet Hospital Tails: 15lb Dog Survives Coyote Attack in the GTA – The Full Story! (Warning: Graphic Photos) - April 25, 2017
- Pet Teeth vs Human Teeth – Can You Spot Dental Disease? - April 11, 2017
- Get a 10% Discount on Parasite Prevention Medication! - March 31, 2017
- Watch Out for These Top 10 Household Toxins for Dogs and Cats! - March 19, 2017
- Important Tips to Protect Your Family and Pets from Coyotes - March 1, 2017
- Pet Hospital Tails: 15lb Dog Survives Coyote Attack in the GTA (Featured on CityNews with Dr. Mudrick) - February 28, 2017
- Top 3 Benefits of Spaying or Neutering Your Pet - February 13, 2017
- Voted #1 Mississauga Veterinary Clinic for the Second Year in a Row! - February 1, 2017