November 1st is Cook for Your Pets Day!
Today is Cook for Your Pets Day!
Why not use today to thank your pet for all the joy they bring you with some homemade cooking?
We’ve gathered some fun treat recipes to help you to make the most of this pet appreciation occasion. (Just remember, treats are a sometimes-food and not something your pet should eat every day.)
Fun Recipes for Dogs
Soon your dog will be happily snacking. Click the links below for full details on these recipes!
From Dog Milk, a great website for dog lovers:
- Gingerbread Men
- Sweet Potato Pretzel Dog Treats
- Three-Ingredient Dog Ice Cream
- Two-Ingredient Dog Treats
- Peanut Butter Cookies
- Oatmeal and Cheese Cookies
Fun Recipes for Cats
Cats can be a bit pickier than dogs, but you can still make some nice homemade treats for them! Click the links below for full details on these recipes.
- Chewy Cat Treats
- Crispy Liver Morsels
- Catnip Bites
- Cheese Treats au Naturel
- Kitty Snacks
- Fluffy’s Favourite Fish Balls
- Mouseburger Bites
Toxic Foods to Avoid
Cooking for your pet is fun, but don’t forget that your pet can’t eat everything we can!
Here is a list of some foods to stay away from:
- Grapes and raisins
- Macadamia nuts
- Potato leaves and stems
- Rhubarb leaves
- Spoiled foods
- Tomato leaves and stems
- Xylitol artificial sweetener
- Yeast dough
Double-check your ingredients with your vet if you’re not sure! You can also find a list of toxins on the Pet Poison Helpline.
Cook for Your Pets Day is certainly an entertaining occasion – but we should be thinking about our pets’ nutrition all year round.
Consult with your vet to determine the best nutrition for your dog or cat. Nutritional requirements are specific to each pet, depending on their age, lifestyle, breed, and health status. What is right for ‘most’ pets may not be the right choice for your unique furry friend.
You will be amazed by the results of quality, appropriate nutrition – pets with better diets live longer, happier, healthier lives. Just as it does in humans, excellent nutrition can prevent and treat many disease conditions.
So celebrate Cook for Your Pet Day with some yummy dishes for your dogs and cats, and start thinking about their nutritional health!
>> Come in to Clarkson Village Animal Hospital for a nutritional consultation about your pet’s needs. We’ll be happy to help you!
Get Your Paws on Our Previous Posts:
- Is Your Pet Overweight? Today is National Pet Obesity Awareness Day
- Are You Neglecting Your Cat’s Preventive Medical Care? Top 3 Reasons Why Your Cat Needs Regular Vet Check-ups
- Please – Watch Out for These Autumn Toxins for Dogs and Cats!
- Celebrate Clarkson Village Animal Hospital’s 30th Anniversary! - June 7, 2017
- Prevention Is The Best Medicine: Make “Cat Soup” for Healthy Cats! - May 24, 2017
- Pet Hospital Tails: 15lb Dog Survives Coyote Attack in the GTA – The Full Story! (Warning: Graphic Photos) - April 25, 2017
- Pet Teeth vs Human Teeth – Can You Spot Dental Disease? - April 11, 2017
- Get a 10% Discount on Parasite Prevention Medication! - March 31, 2017
- Watch Out for These Top 10 Household Toxins for Dogs and Cats! - March 19, 2017
- Important Tips to Protect Your Family and Pets from Coyotes - March 1, 2017
- Pet Hospital Tails: 15lb Dog Survives Coyote Attack in the GTA (Featured on CityNews with Dr. Mudrick) - February 28, 2017
- Top 3 Benefits of Spaying or Neutering Your Pet - February 13, 2017
- Voted #1 Mississauga Veterinary Clinic for the Second Year in a Row! - February 1, 2017