March Is National Tick Awareness Month: Protect Your Pets from Serious Diseases!
Ticks are small bloodsucking parasites that can carry a whole host of dangerous diseases – diseases that can be transmitted to pets and humans! Prevention is the best way to protect your pets and yourself against tick-borne diseases, such as Lyme disease (yes, humans can get Lyme disease too!).
The Canadian Veterinary Medical Association has declared March to be National Tick Awareness Month because it’s when the weather starts warming up and you need to think about parasite control.
Did you know these scary facts about ticks?
- They are active and looking for something to feed on (you and your pet!) as soon as the temperature hits 4°C – and with the winter we’ve been having, we’ve already had lots of days in this range!
- Tick populations are increasing in southern Ontario.
- They transmit Lyme disease and many other very serious and deadly illnesses.
- They can be tiny (too small to see) up to more than 1cm, and they can look like a skin lump on your pet’s body.
- They live in wooded areas, tall grass, bushes, or leaves.
Start Prevention NOW!
The ideal time to begin tick prevention is before exposure. It protects your pet from picking up the parasite and contracting the disease(s) it
Because ticks are active even in mild temperatures, it’s important to remain vigilant in checking your pet (and yourself) for ticks, and to continue your pet’s tick control program for as long as the risk of exposure exists.
Follow the conversation on social media with the hashtag #TickAwarenessMonth!
The vets at Clarkson Village Animal Hospital know how to assess your pet for signs of ticks and tick‐borne diseases. If you think your pet may have ticks or you would like to discuss preventive tick control, book an appointment now!
Get Your Paws on Our Previous Posts:
- Why Your Pet Needs Parasite Prevention in the Spring
- How to Protect Your Dog from Lyme Disease
- Can Your Pets Infect You with Illnesses? [Video from CTV]
- Did You Know Your Pets Are Actually Making You Healthier? - September 7, 2017
- Is Your Dog Stressed Out? [Video] - July 21, 2017
- Top 10 Tips for Travelling Long Distances in the Car with Your Dog - June 27, 2017
- Celebrate Clarkson Village Animal Hospital’s 30th Anniversary! - June 7, 2017
- Prevention Is The Best Medicine: Make “Cat Soup” for Healthy Cats! - May 24, 2017
- Pet Hospital Tails: 15lb Dog Survives Coyote Attack in the GTA – The Full Story! (Warning: Graphic Photos) - April 25, 2017
- Pet Teeth vs Human Teeth – Can You Spot Dental Disease? - April 11, 2017
- Get a 10% Discount on Parasite Prevention Medication! - March 31, 2017
- Watch Out for These Top 10 Household Toxins for Dogs and Cats! - March 19, 2017
- Important Tips to Protect Your Family and Pets from Coyotes - March 1, 2017