Does Your Pet Have a Lump or Bump? Don’t Assume It’s Cancer!
We recently wrote some blogs about pet cancer and pet lumps and bumps. A recent article on Dr. Andy Roark’s website – veterinarian, international speaker, author, and media personality – talks about the same topic.
It’s an important article to follow up ours, because too often veterinarians and/or pet owners assume a growth is cancerous when it may not be. That can lead to two terrible outcomes:
- Your pet doesn’t get surgery to have the lump removed when they need it.
- Your pet is euthanized under the assumption that it’s cancer.
I encourage you to read the full article, which has three stories of older dogs who were believed to have cancerous tumours. When the dogs underwent surgery and the masses were biopsied, each dog’s mass was benign. They are now all expected to have a normal life expectancy and better quality of life!
The moral of the article is that if your pet has a lump or a bump, even if everyone is sure it’s cancer, it may not be. And remember, a lump that doesn’t appear to bother your pet may still be serious. You can’t know unless the mass is removed and biopsied.
And even if your pet does have cancer, you can still improve their quality of life and have often a lot more time together with proper treatment.
As the article says, “I don’t remember a single pet owner ever regretting choosing surgery over euthanasia, no matter how little extra time we bought. The goals of tumor removal are to obtain a diagnosis, improve the patient’s quality of life (e. g. being able to urinate or defecate or breathe), increase life span, and decrease future risks (e.g. by preventing internal bleeding after a spleen mass bursts).”
>> Clarkson Village Animal Hospital is experienced in diagnosing and treating lumps and bumps in cats and dogs. If you’ve found a lump or a bump, book your appointment right away.
Get Your Paws on Our Previous Posts:
- Is Your Indoor Cat Bored?
- Pet Hospital Tails: Vomiting 10 Month Old Puppy
- Can Your Pets Infect You with Illnesses? [Video from CTV]
- Did You Know Your Pets Are Actually Making You Healthier? - September 7, 2017
- Is Your Dog Stressed Out? [Video] - July 21, 2017
- Top 10 Tips for Travelling Long Distances in the Car with Your Dog - June 27, 2017
- Celebrate Clarkson Village Animal Hospital’s 30th Anniversary! - June 7, 2017
- Prevention Is The Best Medicine: Make “Cat Soup” for Healthy Cats! - May 24, 2017
- Pet Hospital Tails: 15lb Dog Survives Coyote Attack in the GTA – The Full Story! (Warning: Graphic Photos) - April 25, 2017
- Pet Teeth vs Human Teeth – Can You Spot Dental Disease? - April 11, 2017
- Get a 10% Discount on Parasite Prevention Medication! - March 31, 2017
- Watch Out for These Top 10 Household Toxins for Dogs and Cats! - March 19, 2017
- Important Tips to Protect Your Family and Pets from Coyotes - March 1, 2017