Pet Hospital Tails: Vomiting 10 Week Old Puppy
We recently treated Sparkle, a 10 week old, 3.8lb poodle puppy who couldn’t stop vomiting for 3 days.
Here’s his story:
This very sick pup was vomiting continuously, getting weaker by the day. Over the course of only a few hours, he vomited a foul smelling liquid about 15 times – clearly something was extremely wrong!
Along with the vomiting, Sparkles was very dehydrated, had belly pain, fever, and a rapid heart rate.
Getting the X-rays back, we could see that his stomach was obviously full of abnormal contents.
See for yourself:
From our interpretation of the X-rays, we knew that Sparkle required surgery, was in toxic shock, and we had to stabilize him right away!
We gave him intravenous fluids, pain control, potassium supplements, and antibiotics to make sure he was getting the hydration and care he needed in the moment.
Once he was stable, there was only one thing to do – our brave little poodle needed surgery to remove the stomach contents that were making him so sick.
What was in his stomach that was so toxic to him? A whole bunch of duck bones!
Sparkle recovered from his surgery comfortably and quickly, and now he couldn’t be a happier pup!
Check out this video of our happy little patient, 20 hours after his major surgery:
We’re so happy that Sparkle’s parents noticed something was wrong and brought him to us when they did. Thanks to their quick action and our treatments, Sparkle’s story has a very happy ending!
>> Is your pet vomiting or displaying other serious symptoms? Call us at 905-855-2100 immediately and bring them in for emergency care. We are always open 24/7 with a vet on site (never “on call”).
Help make the trip to the vet less stressful for your cat. Click here to get our FREE guide to stress-free cat transportation.
Get Your Paws on Our Previous Posts:
- How Much Do You Know about Pet Cancer? Top 10 Warning Signs
- Top 10 Common Household Pet Toxins
- Will You Recognize the Symptoms If Your Pet Develops a Urinary Tract Problem?
- Did You Know Your Pets Are Actually Making You Healthier? - September 7, 2017
- Is Your Dog Stressed Out? [Video] - July 21, 2017
- Top 10 Tips for Travelling Long Distances in the Car with Your Dog - June 27, 2017
- Celebrate Clarkson Village Animal Hospital’s 30th Anniversary! - June 7, 2017
- Prevention Is The Best Medicine: Make “Cat Soup” for Healthy Cats! - May 24, 2017
- Pet Hospital Tails: 15lb Dog Survives Coyote Attack in the GTA – The Full Story! (Warning: Graphic Photos) - April 25, 2017
- Pet Teeth vs Human Teeth – Can You Spot Dental Disease? - April 11, 2017
- Get a 10% Discount on Parasite Prevention Medication! - March 31, 2017
- Watch Out for These Top 10 Household Toxins for Dogs and Cats! - March 19, 2017
- Important Tips to Protect Your Family and Pets from Coyotes - March 1, 2017