Can Your Pets Infect You with Illnesses? [Video from CTV]
We encourage our readers to check out a great video from CTV Canada AM, where the hosts talk about our pets passing illnesses to us. Although most people don’t think about it, pets can give humans their infections, like bacterial infections or certain parasitic infections. These infections are called zoonoses.
The video mentions some “high risk groups” that should be particularly mindful of infections from pets. High risk individuals include people who:
- Are very young
- Are elderly (over the age of 65)
- Have existing illnesses
- Have a compromised autoimmune system
- Are pregnant women
Click here to view the video (only three and a half minutes!). It also gives some good tips on avoiding pet-borne disease.
This is not cause for alarm. It is our goal to provide you with preventive information regarding all aspects of pet care (including zoonoses), so you are aware of simple sanitary practices to help keep your family and pets safe.
Please also see One Health Initiative for information about ongoing work done worldwide regarding these issues.
What do you think? Have you ever worried about your pet passing on an infection?
Like this? You might also like:
- Why Your Pet Needs Parasite Prevention in the Spring
- How to Brush Your Pet’s Teeth to Promote Dental Health (And Avoid Oral Disease)
- How Can Pet Owners Protect Their Pets from Dangerous Urinary Tract Problems?
- Is Your Dog Stressed Out? [Video] - July 21, 2017
- Top 10 Tips for Travelling Long Distances in the Car with Your Dog - June 27, 2017
- Celebrate Clarkson Village Animal Hospital’s 30th Anniversary! - June 7, 2017
- Prevention Is The Best Medicine: Make “Cat Soup” for Healthy Cats! - May 24, 2017
- Pet Hospital Tails: 15lb Dog Survives Coyote Attack in the GTA – The Full Story! (Warning: Graphic Photos) - April 25, 2017
- Pet Teeth vs Human Teeth – Can You Spot Dental Disease? - April 11, 2017
- Get a 10% Discount on Parasite Prevention Medication! - March 31, 2017
- Watch Out for These Top 10 Household Toxins for Dogs and Cats! - March 19, 2017
- Important Tips to Protect Your Family and Pets from Coyotes - March 1, 2017
- Pet Hospital Tails: 15lb Dog Survives Coyote Attack in the GTA (Featured on CityNews with Dr. Mudrick) - February 28, 2017