How Often Do You Trim Your Cat’s Nails? [Video]
Trimming your cat’s nails can be a little intimidating, but with a little direction, you can become proficient in this important grooming task. If you can, beginning to trim your cat’s nails when they are a kitten can help make it a very routine and stress-free event. But even as adults, you and your cat can get through it just fine. It should be done regularly to avoid ingrown nails, as well preventing your cat from getting caught on furniture and textiles in your home, which can lead to injury. Here is a video to help you, but if you need more direction feel free to book a nail trim demonstration with one of our technicians.
Below is a close-up picture of a cat’s nail. In the centre of the nail is quick, a blood supply that keeps the nail healthy. Trim just in front of the end of the quick. If you accidentally cut the nail too short causing the nail to bleed, apply some styptic powder to the nail and apply pressure.
Below we have added a video demonstration of Sherry, one of our Registered Veterinary Technicians and Sara, once of our Animal Care Assistants performing a routine nail trim
Performing cat nail trims can be intimidating the first few times, and we encourage you to come by the clinic and have a demonstration with one of our Registered Veterinary Technicians to help make you and your cat feel more comfortable at home.
We are open 24 hours, 7 days a week, even on Holidays for anything that you need! Please feel free to contact us anytime at 905-855-2100.
Written by Sherry, RVT and Sara, ACA
- Combat the Winter Blues with Environmental Enrichment! - November 29, 2017
- Winter Care Tips for You and Your Pooch - November 29, 2017
- Christmas Safety Tips for Your Feline Friend - November 29, 2017
- Remembrance Day – Remembering Gander, A True Dog Hero - November 1, 2017
- Protecting Our Pets From Wildlife - November 1, 2017
- November is ‘Adopt a Senior Pet’ Month - November 1, 2017
- A Pet Owner’s Guide to Dog and Cat Dental Health - October 31, 2017
- Happy Howl-o-ween! - October 13, 2017
- How Much Do You Know About Fall Hazards? - October 13, 2017
- Do I Still Need to Worry About Ticks With Fall Here? - October 13, 2017